RSS

Creativity Vomit

Just like everyone else, I have been very busy. Ya know, children, life, cleaning, jobs, illness, health, family, sun, summer...but most importantly I have been very busy creating. So I am going to upload all of the tutorials that I have captured, as soon as I can.
Enjoy :]

Reminder: It is easiest for me to take shots with my cellphone camera. Meaning, even though it is a Droid 4 8 mp camera the quality is not always the greatest. 

Keepsake Growth Chart

What you need:
  • About 2 yards of natural (colored) cotton fabric
  • Yardstick
  • Fabric Scissors 
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Fabric Marker in Black and Green
  • Fabric marking marker. I really can't remember what these were called. But they are the temporary colors that fade or can be washed away.
  • Green Thread
  • 1 - 1/2" dowel (cut your dowel in to 2 - 14 inch pieces, or just half it)
  • 1/2 yard of ribbon

Step 1: Measure and Cut


Lay out the fabric, we will use the whole 2 yards in length, but most fabric seems to be about 54" wide. Measure out a 14" width of the fabric, using the 2 yards as the length. The seems are best at 1/2" or greater with this kind of fabric. 

Step 2: Sew & Mark


As I stated, making sure that you have at least a 1/2" allowance for seams is best. 

I use green thread, for contrast to the fabric and matching the green that will be used later on. I chose to use the zigzag stitch. 

But! I made the zigzag part stitch on the "inside" of the chart, I liked the way it looked with the "wrong side" on the front of the chart.
Sew the seems for all 4 sides.  

After completing that, that put your dowel at the top of the chart, and roll the fabric over it, pin the fabric so that it is easy to slide the dowel in and out of the fabric. Repeat for the bottom and sew.

Following that, take your yardstick and measure, marking with the disappearing pen, every inch from the seam on the bottom, allowing about 6 inches of empty space on the top (before the seam).  After measuring, figure out what your starting number will be. I have noticed that this does very a bit based on your dowel seam, and the original seam you make. I always make my charts end at 6 feet.  People laughed when I made my first one, because even though my daughter is not even 2 year, she is growing into 3t/4t clothing. She is just a big kid! (And hers was the first one I ever made.) But realistically the children growing over 5 feet is not unheard of! I might be short but I am still over 5 feet tall! (barely)  So usually, I start out at 6 feet and work my way down. This is where you decide how you want the chart to look. I have done both decorative, and non-decorative numbers. But I always make my line on the foot mark about a quarter of the width of the chart, the number for the foot (6 ft., 5 ft., 4 ft., etc.) largest of all numbers. I also make the half mark (5.5ft. , 4.5ft., 3.5ft., etc) about an eighth (so half of the foot) and the numbers larger than the others but smaller than the foot numbers. I also number every inch. (72 in., 71in., 70in., you should get the point now).  There is no point in doing this in the disappearing ink, unless you plan on making them very decorative. Use the black fabric pen for the lines and the numbers. 


Step 3: Make it Pretty :]

This is where you can make it completely their own. I use vines as a representation. Or-not-so-subtle symbolism of their growth. But you can do whatever you want! FIRST I do suggest you draw in their name! 
Now as a portrait photographer I have learned that even the most common name has begun to develop unique spellings. So always double check if this is for a baby who is not yet here, or for someone else you are making this for and are uncertain of their name. My daughter's name is Evermore, and even though it is a unique name a lot of people don't realize it is easy to spell. Not to mention we call her Evey most often anyway. I prefer using whole first names and middle names. Also if the child is already born I like to add their birth date below their names and their birth height (if it will fit on your chart.)

Use the disappearing ink first and sketch out their name, Fill that top 6 inches with their name and other information. 


After your are satisfied with the name, put it on with the black fabric marker.


Notice how when I did that step I changed the shape of the J's? I didn't really like the rounded edge of my original J's. That is the blessing of the disappearing ink.

After you get done with that, it is time for the vines. It make seem daunting to cover all that space on the opposite side with vines, but really it isn't. 

I follow by the "three's" rule. I always have 3 vines on my charts, starting from one base. They are very simple to make. I strongly suggest using your disappearing ink, and sketch them roughly on the chart first. Not putting in the tendrils or leaves  (until later) but just the main vines themselves.

Step 1 - to making the vines


Make your base with a squiggly V. Make the sides thick and strong looking. Make sure to color them in when you use your green ink. Add a third vine starting in the center. 

Step 2: Begin your ascent. 

Make your vines, starting from those 3 points. Make them squiggle and squirm across your canvas. Crossing each other several times. 


I always finish mine off with big Curly-Q's at the top. I didn't take a picture of that, just sorta forgot about it.

Step 3: Add the pizzazz!

Add your leaves, tendrils and other minor vines variously. Alternate between one leaf by its self and a paired type on the vines. Don't think about it too hard. The less you think about it the more natural it will look. 


Step 4: Add the color

Take your green fabric marker. And make those beautiful vines permanent. Color in your base and your leaves. Add some vines to the name, and measurement numbers! Just enjoy. The beauty of these charts is that no 2 are alike, and that they are perfect in their imperfections.

Step 5: Make the dowels permanent, and make it hang. 

Slide the dowels in place, and after your hot glue gun is warmed and ready put a generous dab of glue at the end of the fabric on both sides, and stick it to the dowel. (If you don't do this, the dowels will slide out). 

After that, take your ribbon, cut desired length and glue it to your top dowel. Embellish it with a handmade bow?? Why not! Make sure glue the ends of the ribbon to the dowel, and be generous, if your not the ribbon will pop off.

Present this cheap, unique gift with pride!

Completed project pictures below are from my first attempt. Not only did I not have ribbon, but I thought about it way to hard and it just didn't flow as well as it did with all the other ones I have made. But yours will look similar! 
Heck! If you don't want to make one yourself, contact me and we can arrange for me to make one for you! :]

Up next...the cutest "babies first suit" onsies ever!



0 comments:

Post a Comment